Man cuts pregnant wife’s belly to check baby’s gender
Published: 12:14 22 September 2020 Updated: 13:41 22 September 2020
The couple already had five daughters. Photo: Collected
A man slashed his pregnant wife's stomach with a sickle to check the gender of their upcoming baby in northern India
The incident took place on Saturday in Badaun district in Uttar Pradesh, India's most populous state in the north of the country.
Citing police and relatives, international media reported that the woman has been in the intensive care unit (ICU) in critical condition in a hospital in the capital, New Delhi. Her husband had been arrested.
The woman's brother Golu Singh said that the husband attacked his wife with a sickle and ripped her stomach saying that he wanted to check the gender of the unborn child.
Police said the baby was stillborn late on Sunday.
The couple already had five daughters. Daughters are often seen as a burden in India, with families having to pay dowries when they marry, while sons are prized as breadwinners who inherit property and continue the family name.
Abortions of female fetuses have been banned in India, where the preference for boys has led to a dwindling number of girls.
Around 15.8 million girls went missing in India due to prenatal sex selection between 1990 and 2018, according to the Population Research Institute.
According to a government survey released in July, India's gender ratio, or the number of females per 1,000 males, was 896 between 2015 and 2017, down from 898 in 2014-2016 and 900 in 2013-2015.
Indian law bans doctors and health workers from sharing an unborn child's sex with the parents, or carrying out tests to determine the child's gender, and only registered medical practitioners are allowed to perform abortions. - Al Jazeera, BBC
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- US Presidential Polls
Biden ahead in electoral votes at 238, Trump at 210: US media
- 1,200-year-old Pagan Temple to Thor, Odin discovered
- 59 coffins buried 2,500 years ago in Egypt unveiled
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Sarcophagi buried for 2,500 yrs exhumed
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine trial paused on 3rd level
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- Erdogan’s cartoon on French magazine, Turkey for legal action