Mamata ‘requests’ Modi to change West Bengal’s name
Published: 10:32 28 July 2021
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee met Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Delhi on Tuesday; Photo: Collected
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has requested Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to consider the issue of renaming the state of West Bengal.
She made the request during a meeting with Narendra Modi at the Indian Prime Minister’s residence in Delhi on Tuesday. Later, the Trinamool leader herself told the information to the journalists.
Stating that the meeting went well, the West Bengal Chief Minister said that Prime Minister Modi had listened to her words and would look into the demands. “I have also requested to consider the issue of renaming the state, the matter has been pending for a long time,” Mamata Banerjee said.
However, a proposal to change the name of the state to ‘Bangla’ was sent to the Center a long time ago, however, the central government claimed that “changing the name could lead to confusion” with the neighboring country (Bangladesh).
Chief Minister Mamata had her first meeting with Prime Minister Modi after the Assembly elections. There was a lot of speculation in the Indian political arena about this meeting.
“Despite the large population, we have received fewer vaccines than other states,” Mamata said. “I have informed the Prime Minister about the need for more vaccines in West Bengal.”
Mamata further said “RT-PCR test is required” to meet the President. I received the double dose, but where do I test for the coronavirus? If not now, I will see him later, the West Bengal Chief Minister added.
Mamata Banerjee is now one of the main opposition figures in Indian politics after coming to power for the third time in a row in West Bengal. She went to Delhi on Monday after almost two years. It is believed that one of the objectives of her visit to Delhi this time is to revive the anti-BJP front ahead of the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
- Hundreds of unmarked graves found at Canada residential school
- Covid Delta variant as transmissible as chickenpox: CDC
- India records 624 more fatalities
- Huge floods leave 120 dead in Europe
- Kim Jong Un `emaciated`, citizens heartbroken: state TV
- First case of deadly Marburg virus in West Africa detected
- Gunmen kidnap 140 school students in northwest Nigeria
- Probe body formed over 14 killed in China warehouse blaze: Xinhua
- China ready for ‘friendly relations’ with Taliban
- `Smallest baby at birth` discharged from hospital after 13 months
- Miami building collapse: Death toll climbs to 9; 150 missing
- Haiti earthquake: Death toll climbs to over 1,297
- Israeli forces open fire on Palestinians; 379 injured
- 20 missing after heavy rains trigger landslide in Japan
- 43 incl Bangladeshis missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia