Malian woman gives birth to nine babies
Published: 11:19 5 May 2021 Updated: 15:13 5 May 2021
Halima Cisse, 25, and all five girls and four boys are doing fine after a cesarean section in Morocco; Photo: Daily Mail
A woman in Mali has given birth to nonuplets in Morocco on Tuesday and all the nine babies are doing fine, the Malian government said.
Mali’s health ministry said in a statement that Halima Cisse had given birth to five girls and four boys by Caesarean section.
“The newborns (five girls and four boys) and the mother are all doing well,” said the country’s health minister Fanta Siby in a statement.
Cisse was flown to Morocco to make sure the babies were delivered safely after the pregnancy attracted the attention of the West African nation's leaders.
Halima Cisse, 25, had been expected to give birth to seven babies, according to ultrasounds conducted in Morocco and Mali that missed two of the siblings. All were delivered by cesarean section.
Meanwhile, Moroccan health ministry sources say that cases of women successfully “carrying septuplets to term are rare” and “nonuplets even rarer.”
Doctors had been concerned about Cisse’s health, according to local press reports, as well as her babies’ chances of survival.
Nonuplets are extremely rare. Medical complications in multiple births of this kind often mean that some of the babies do not survive.
Source: The Guardian, AFP, Reuters, Daily Mail
- Hundreds of unmarked graves found at Canada residential school
- Covid Delta variant as transmissible as chickenpox: CDC
- India records 624 more fatalities
- Huge floods leave 120 dead in Europe
- Kim Jong Un `emaciated`, citizens heartbroken: state TV
- First case of deadly Marburg virus in West Africa detected
- Gunmen kidnap 140 school students in northwest Nigeria
- Probe body formed over 14 killed in China warehouse blaze: Xinhua
- China ready for ‘friendly relations’ with Taliban
- `Smallest baby at birth` discharged from hospital after 13 months
- Miami building collapse: Death toll climbs to 9; 150 missing
- Haiti earthquake: Death toll climbs to over 1,297
- Israeli forces open fire on Palestinians; 379 injured
- 20 missing after heavy rains trigger landslide in Japan
- 43 incl Bangladeshis missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia