Majnu gets life term in DU student rape case
Published: 15:15 19 November 2020 Updated: 17:04 19 November 2020
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
A court in Dhaka sentenced lone accused Md Majnu to life term imprisonment in Dhaka University student rape case. The court also fined him Tk 50,000, in default, to suffer six months more imprisonment.
Judge Begum Mosammat Kamrunnahar of Dhaka’s Women and Child Abuse Suppression Tribunal-7 handed down the verdict on Thursday.
Earlier on November 12, the same court fixed today to deliver its verdict in the case after a hearing.
On January 5 this year, a DU student was raped in Kurmitola while she was going to her friend’s house around 7:30 pm. The next day, the girl’s father filed the case with Cantonment Police Station, accusing unknown people.
Later, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) arrested 30-year-old Majnu from Dhaka's Shewra area on January 8.
On March 16, Detective Branch (DB) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) submitted a charge-sheet against Majnu to Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrate’s (CMM) court. A tribunal on August 26 framed charges against him in the case. Majnu pleaded not guilty.
- Anushka rape and murder: Court directs DNA test
- ‘Golden Monir’ on 18 days remand
- HC accepts Minni’s appeal, fine suspended
- ACC files chargesheet against Casino Khalid
- Nixon Chowdhury in High Court for anticipatory bail
- 3 to die for killing NSU student Payal
- Verdict in DU student rape case Nov 19
- HC orders Papul’s wife, daughter to surrender
- 7 judges with rank of District and Session Judge transferred
- Case files against ex-mayor Sayeed Khokon, 7 others
- Indictment hearing against Samrat on November 30
- Mother-son murdered in Kakrail: Husband among 3 to die
- ASP Anisul murder: 10 accused on 7-day remand
- Hearing on Golden Monir`s bail plea today
- Nixon Chowdhury’s bail upheld in Chamber Judge’s Court