Low pressure in Bay, strong cyclone ‘Gati’ approaching
Published: 13:42 10 October 2020 Updated: 13:55 10 October 2020
Super Cyclonic Storm Amphan hit the coastal areas of Bangladesh and India in May 2020, causing widespread damage in West Bengal. Now, another cyclone called "Gati" has been forming in the Bay of Bengal. Gati, the name is suggested by India, means speed or pace.
Earlier, the International Meteorological Organizations had predicted that a cyclone is likely to hit the coastal areas.
According to the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), the low pressure in the East-Central Bay of Bengal has intensified into a cyclone. Its current wind speed is 65 kilometres per hour.
It has also reported that cyclone 'Gati' is likely to intensify further and to hit the coast of Andhra Pradesh in India on Monday morning. However, if the track is changed, the tropical storm may hit the coastal areas of Bangladesh. Under the influence of the cyclone, heavy rainfall may occur.
Formed in the Andaman Sea, the depression is now centred in the East-Central Bay of Bengal. The Indian Meteorological Department said it is likely to move in a north-northwest direction after intensifying further.
Although the storm will not directly lash West Bengal, heavy rainfalls are likely to occur in Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka and Maharashtra on Sunday and Monday. Severe heavy rains are forecasted in Andaman and Nicobar Islands at this time.
During these two days, the Andaman Sea and the Part of the Bay of Bengal will remain very high near the cyclone centre. All fishing boats and trawlers over the coasts of Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Andaman have been advised to take shelter and to remain in shelter until further notice.
However, no warning message has been issued by the Bangladesh Meteorological Office regarding the cyclone "Gati".
- Maulana Golam Sarwar Saide dies
- Dr. Zohra Begum Kazi’s 108th birth anniv today
- Killing schoolgirl after rape: CID collects evidence
- Anushka at Dihan`s house: Which was seen in CCTV footage
- Dewanbagi Pir Syed Mahbub-e-Khoda dies
- Army officer adorned ‘Colonel’ rank while in coma for 7 years
- Shaheed Dr Milon Day on Friday
- Legal action will be taken against fake news portals: Hasan
- Two-day weekly holidays in schools, colleges
- Work of Mongla port’s new channel completed before schedule time
- Cold wave may continue till tomorrow morning
- 7hrs raid at Haji Selim’s residence, what recovered…
- Working to build a vibrant blue economy: PM
- Beigun’s remarks over Rohingya issue is inappropriate: China
- Irfan Selim sentenced to one-year imprisonment