Lieutenant General SM Shafiuddin Ahmed made new army chief
Published: 18:44 10 June 2021 Updated: 10:07 11 June 2021
Lieutenant General SM Shafiuddin Ahmed; File Photo
Lieutenant General SM Shafiuddin Ahmed has been promoted to the rank of General and appointed as the Chief of Army Staff of the Bangladesh Army.
The appointment was made in a notification signed by Defense Ministry Deputy Secretary Wahida Sultana on Thursday.
According to the notification, from June 24 afternoon, Lieutenant General SM Shafiuddin Ahmed, OSP, NDU, PSC, who is serving as the Quartermaster General at the Army Headquarters, will be promoted to the rank of General in the Bangladesh Army.
He has been appointed as the Chief of Army Staff for three years – which will be in force from the afternoon on that day, the notification mentioned.
SM Shafiuddin Ahmed will replace current Chief of Army Staff General Aziz Ahmed.
Commissioned in the 9th Bangladesh Military Academy (BMA) Long Course in 1983 in the infantry corps, Lieutenant General SM Shafiuddin Ahmed previously served as the General Commanding Officer of Army Training and Doctrine Command (ARTDOC).
He later became the General Officer Commanding of the 19th Infantry Division in 2012.
Lieutenant General SM Shafiuddin Ahmed, in his career, has also served as a Director General of the Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BISS) and Senior Directing staff of the National Defence College.
He also played a key role in UN peacekeeping missions as deputy force commander in the Central African Republic.
- ADC Saqlain withdrawn for taking Pori Moni at house
- DNCC’s ‘Digital Cattle Hat’ being launched
- ‘Hero’ Captain Naushad passes away
- PM inaugurates Army Headquarters Selection Board-2021
- RAB raids Helena’s JoyJatra TV, channel to be shut down
- 3 dead, about 30 injured in Moghbazar blast
- Tk4 crore looted from Dhaka Bank vault, 2 held
- 2 associates of model Piyasha arrested with weapons, drugs
- Mass Vaccination campaign
28.37 lakh people vaccinated in one day
- Shutdown: New system like ‘curfew’ to curb pandemic
- Decision on strict lockdown extension today
- RAB raids Helena Jahangir`s house
- Fire in Banani’s 6-storey building, 14 firefighting units working
- Helena Jahangir detained
- Country’s first subway
Only 24min to take for Airport-Kamalpur