Legal notice for banning Bigo Live, TikTok, Likee
Published: 13:59 8 October 2020
Supreme Court lawyer ZR Khan Robin on Thursday sent legal notices through registry mail to take necessary actions to shut down or ban Bigo Live, TikTok, Likee apps for endangering the young generation.
The notice was sent to the Secretary of Ministry of Home Affairs, Secretary of Ministry of Posts, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Secretary of Ministry of Information and BTRC chairman.
Regarding the notice, lawyer ZR Khan said, “The use of these apps is endangering the young generation. It is destroying morality, social values and mutual respect. Youths and teenagers are getting involved in gangs and taking part in criminal activities, becoming violent. Wants to gain cheap popularity through these apps and start thinking of himself as popular.”
Bigo Live app targets youths and teenagers who come to live streaming with obscene gestures and vulgar offers and seized a lot of money through mobile banking tactically by trapping them in sex offers.
“Considering the harmful aspects of this app, India and Pakistan have banned this app,” ZR Khan said.
Through TikTok, many teenagers are making videos by dyeing their hair in bizarre colors and following foreign subcultures – which have violent and ugly contents, he also said, mentioning that there are no “instructive message” in these videos, on the contrary, these videos are sending wrong messages to the young generation.
India, Pakistan and Indonesia have already banned the app for encouraging the embarrassing, immoral and pornography activities, he also said.
The notice issuer also said that the young generation is spreading obscene videos by making short videos in Singapore-based and sharing platforms. Therefore, the notice was sent to the concerned to take necessary steps for the public interest.
“It has been requested to shut down the Bigo Live, TikTok, Likee apps within 15 days of receiving the notice. Otherwise, a writ will be filed in the High Court seeking redressal in this regard,” said lawyer ZR Khan Robin.
- Anushka rape and murder: Court directs DNA test
- ‘Golden Monir’ on 18 days remand
- HC accepts Minni’s appeal, fine suspended
- ACC files chargesheet against Casino Khalid
- Nixon Chowdhury in High Court for anticipatory bail
- 3 to die for killing NSU student Payal
- Verdict in DU student rape case Nov 19
- HC orders Papul’s wife, daughter to surrender
- 7 judges with rank of District and Session Judge transferred
- Case files against ex-mayor Sayeed Khokon, 7 others
- Indictment hearing against Samrat on November 30
- Mother-son murdered in Kakrail: Husband among 3 to die
- ASP Anisul murder: 10 accused on 7-day remand
- Hearing on Golden Monir`s bail plea today
- Nixon Chowdhury’s bail upheld in Chamber Judge’s Court