Khaleda receives dental treatment
Published: 20:33 12 June 2019
Imprisoned BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia on Wednesday received treatment at the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery department of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) for dental-related problems.
The BNP chief, who has been undergoing treatment at the BSMMU since April 1 last, was taken to the hospital's A block from its Cabin block’s 621-No room at noon for the treatment.
Mahmuda Akhter, associate professor of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery department, provided treatment to Khaleda.
She was taken back to the cabin block after the treatment amid tight security, said BSMMU additional director Nazmul Karim.
Later, at a press briefing BSMMU director Brig Gen Dr AK Mahbubul Hoque said they provided Khaleda with the dental healthcare. “She had some dental-related problems and we gave her treatment at the dental unit. There’s nothing else,” he added.
Sought an explanation about the problem, the director said Khaleda was facing problem to eat due to sharpness of some of her teeth that caused fungal infection in her tongue. “That’s why we fixed the problem with dental equipment. We leveled the teeth reducing the sharpness.”
About Khaleda’s current health condition, he said she is now fine. “She’s now very better than in the past.”
Hoque also said the BNP chief’s sugar level is now under control, and she is regularly taking insulin.
Replying to another question, the BSMMU director said he had no information about shifting Khaleda to Keraniganj Central Jail. “We didn’t get any directive from the authorities concerned in this regard.”
On April 1, Khaleda was shifted to BSMMU from Old Dhaka Central Jail with severe pain in the joints of her hands and legs, insomnia, weakness and high sugar level.
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- GM Quader reinstated as JP Co-chair
- `BNP should strengthen legal procedures for Khaleda’s parole`
- AL picks Titu for Mymensingh mayor
- AL, CPC ink MoU on boosting coop
- Govt to bring Tarique back for sake of law: Hasan
- GM Quader reinstated stuck again
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- BNP to stage hunger strike Sunday seeking Khaleda’s release
- Ershad’s 90th Birthday celebrated
- Obaidul Quader almost cured
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- Khaleda Zia at BSMMU for treatment
- BNP leaders resigning due to failure: Hanif
- No longer acting:
GM Quader full chairman now