JCD activists lock BNP central office
Published: 17:30 11 June 2019 Updated: 17:32 11 June 2019
Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal activists locked the main gate of BNP's central office in Nayapaltan today demanding cancellation of the party’s directives about age limit in forming its new committee.
Several hundred leaders and activists of the recently-dissolved JCD central committee gathered in front of the party office around 11am and started demonstration there. At one stage, they locked the main gate and continued their protest programme.
The protesters were chanting slogans in favour of their demand for cancellation of the age limit.
The demonstrators of JCD, BNP’s student body, were also demanding the cancellation of the announcement about dissolving their central committee.
They said they want BNP to form a short-term JCD committee without keeping any age ceiling.
The JCD demonstrators were also demanding the cancellation of the announcement about dissolving their central committee.
The protestors also snapped the power connection to the BNP office around 12:50pm.
As some ex-JCD leaders, including Shamsuzzaman Dudu, Amanullah Aman, Fazlul Haq Milon, Shaheeduddin Chowdhury Anne, ABM Mosharraf Hossain, Shafiul Bari Babu came to the spot, the protestors engaged in argument with them and barred them from entering the office.
BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi and some other party leaders were staying inside the office.
On June 3, the central committee of BNP’s student body Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD) was dissolved.
A BNP press release, signed by BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi, said a new JCD committee will be formed within the next 45 days based on the opinions of its councillors.
It said those who will contest election for different posts of JCD will have to be primary members, students of any educational institution of Bangladesh and must pass SSC and equivalent examination after 2000.
On October 14, 2014, JCD’s last committee was formed making Rajib Ahsan its president and Akramul Hasan its general secretary.
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- GM Quader reinstated as JP Co-chair
- `BNP should strengthen legal procedures for Khaleda’s parole`
- AL picks Titu for Mymensingh mayor
- Govt to bring Tarique back for sake of law: Hasan
- AL, CPC ink MoU on boosting coop
- GM Quader reinstated stuck again
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- BNP to stage hunger strike Sunday seeking Khaleda’s release
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- Obaidul Quader almost cured
- Ershad’s 90th Birthday celebrated
- No longer acting:
GM Quader full chairman now
- Khaleda Zia at BSMMU for treatment
- BNP leaders resigning due to failure: Hanif