Israeli police storm Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, fire tear gas
Published: 20:25 21 May 2021
Israeli security forces have stormed the al-Aqsa Mosque compound and fired tear gas, despite the ceasefire; Photo: Collected.
A ceasefire agreement reached between Israel and Palestinian armed groups in the Gaza Strip appeared to be holding on Friday, but there have been tensions in occupied East Jerusalem where Israeli police stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound and fired tear gas at Palestinians after Friday prayers.
The Egyptian-brokered ceasefire came into effect in the early hours of Friday after 11 days of relentless Israeli bombing of the besieged enclave and thousands of rockets launched into Israel by Hamas, the group ruling the Strip.
Thousands of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip and occupied West Bank poured onto the streets to celebrate the ceasefire, waving flags and flashing the “V” sign for victory.
Israel’s bombardment of Gaza killed at least 243 Palestinians, including 66 children, and brought widespread devastation to the already impoverished territory. On the Israeli side, 12 people, including two children, were killed.
- Hundreds of unmarked graves found at Canada residential school
- Covid Delta variant as transmissible as chickenpox: CDC
- India records 624 more fatalities
- Huge floods leave 120 dead in Europe
- Kim Jong Un `emaciated`, citizens heartbroken: state TV
- First case of deadly Marburg virus in West Africa detected
- Gunmen kidnap 140 school students in northwest Nigeria
- Probe body formed over 14 killed in China warehouse blaze: Xinhua
- China ready for ‘friendly relations’ with Taliban
- `Smallest baby at birth` discharged from hospital after 13 months
- Miami building collapse: Death toll climbs to 9; 150 missing
- Haiti earthquake: Death toll climbs to over 1,297
- Israeli forces open fire on Palestinians; 379 injured
- 20 missing after heavy rains trigger landslide in Japan
- 43 incl Bangladeshis missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia