Irfan Selim sentenced to one-year imprisonment
Published: 18:59 26 October 2020 Updated: 01:18 27 October 2020
A mobile court of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) has granted one-year imprisonment to Irfan Selim, son of Dhaka-30 MP Haji Selim in two separate allegations for keeping illegal devices and drugs. His bodyguard Mohammed Jahid was also sentenced in the same cases.
Lt. Colonel Ashiq Billah, director of the RAB's law and media wing confirmed the matter to media on Monday evening.
A mobile court led by RAB executive magistrate Sarwar Alam made the verdict in a raid at Haji Selim's residence at Devdas Lane in Soarighat in Old Dhaka. Apart from illegal weapons a large number of drugs, foreign liquor and walkie-talkies were recovered during the raid.
Lt. Colonel Ashiq Billah said that two more cases will be filed by RAB.
RAB Magistrate Sarwar Alam said, Irfan Selim lived on the third and fourth floor of the nine-storey white building. Various electronic devices, a foreign pistol, ammunition, an airgun, 38 walkie-talkies, a handcuff, foreign liquor and beer were found there.
He said he had not yet shown any valid paperwork for the weapons. And the walkie-talkies are also illegal, these black walkie-talkies can only be used by members of the law enforcement agencies.
Earlier on Sunday night, Dhaka-7 MP Haji Mohammad Selim’s son Councilor Irfan Selim and his fellows attacked Navy officer Lieutenant Md. Wasif Ahmed Khan. The incident took place near Kalabagan signal in the capital. A case was filed against seven including Haji Selim's son on Monday morning.
MP Haji Selim's son Irfan Selim (37), his bodyguard Mohammad Zahid (35), Haji Siddique's Medina Group protocol officer AB Siddique Dipu (45), driver Mizanur Rahman (30) and two or three unidentified persons were accused in the case.
According to the case statement, the naval officer Lieutenant Md. Wasif Ahmed Khan was going to Kalabagan on a motorcycle with his wife around 7:45 pm on Sunday. A sticky black Land Rover (Dhaka Metro-Gha-11-5736) with a sticker “Member of Parliament” in front of Labaid Hospital hit his motorcycle from behind. The officer then stopped the motorcycle on the side of the road, stood in front of the car, and introduced himself. But the accused got out of the car and humiliated and beat him. He later verbally abused his wife. When people gathered at the spot, they left their cars and fled. Later, the police came to the spot and took both the vehicle and the motorcycle of the Navy officer to Dhanmondi police station.
After the incident, the officer's wife rescued the officer with the help of the local people and the traffic police officer of Dhanmondi police station on duty and took him to Anwar Khan Modern Hospital for treatment.
- Maulana Golam Sarwar Saide dies
- Covid-19 vaccination: 50 centers in capital
- Anushka at Dihan`s house: Which was seen in CCTV footage
- Killing schoolgirl after rape: CID collects evidence
- Dewanbagi Pir Syed Mahbub-e-Khoda dies
- Shaheed Dr Milon Day on Friday
- ‘Surokkha’ app within Feb 4: DG of DGHS
- Syed Shamsul Haque’s birth anniversary today
- Cold wave may continue till tomorrow morning
- Legal action will be taken against fake news portals: Hasan
- Work of Mongla port’s new channel completed before schedule time
- ULAB student death: Friend ‘DJ Neha’s obscenity with ‘Client-1,2’
- Globe Biotech allowed to produce ‘Bangavax’ vaccine for trial
- Final feasibility survey before next budget
2nd Padma Bridge also to be funded by govt if necessary
- Bangladesh to deposit money to buy Oxford`s vaccine on Sunday