Investcorp eager to invest in Bangladesh
Published: 22:57 10 April 2019
Investcorp, one of the global largest and most diverse alternative investment managers, is keen to make investment in Bangladesh for mutual benefits.
Executive Chairman of Investcorp Mohammed Bin Mahfoodh Alardhi expressed the willingness when he met Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her official residence Ganobhaban.
PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters after the meeting.
Mohammed Alardhi said the Investcorp had largely been interested to invest in European countries so long. But the global investment group is now very much keen to invest in countries like Bangladesh in the Asian region, he said, adding that Bangladesh is a homogeneous country having investment potential.
The Investcorp executive chairman highly appreciated Bangladesh’s socio-economic development under the visionary and dynamic leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
In reply, the Prime Minister said the investment climate in Bangladesh is very good and there are huge opportunities for investment and big market in the country.
Pointing out the success stories of Bangladesh in social development, she said the main objective of her government is now to develop the country on all fronts.
Sheikh Hasina said Bangladesh is now moving forward to achieve the desired goals. The poverty rate has now come down to 20 percent, while that of extreme poverty to 11 percent, she added.
She said the government has already identified homeless and landless people for their rehabilitation.
About the education sector, the Prime Minister highlighted that nearly 350 million textbooks are distributed free of cost among 40 million students at the primary and secondary levels at the very beginning of every year.
When the Investcorp executive chairman raised the issue of Jihadi extremism, the Prime Minister said Jihad (fight) should be against the common enemy of the region which is poverty.
In this regard, Sheikh Hasina said communal harmony exists in Bangladesh as the people of all religions, including Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Buddhists, are living here in peace and harmony.
PM' Private Industry and Investment Adviser Salman F Rahman, Principal Secretary Md Nojibur Rahman and Executive Chairman of Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (Bida) Kazi M Aminul Islam were present.
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- Excise duty on bank deposits increasing
- BB relaxes interest on all types of bank loans
- ADB approves additional $500m for Bangladesh
- Who gets govt stimulus Tk 2500
- TCB starts selling onion at Tk 25
- Price of tobacco products increase in FY21
- WB approves $500m for Bangladesh road connectivity development
- Global economy may suffer up to 9.7 pc due to COVID-19: ADB
20 million people to be given cash directly
- Bangladesh ranks 9th in strongest emerging economies
- Permission granted to open shopping malls, but..
- Mobile call rate, internet cost increasing
- Goods unloading suspended at Chattogram port
- Finance Minister to present budget proposal today