Humayun Azad murder case: Next arguments on Jan 31
Published: 13:51 24 January 2021
Professor Dr Humayun Azad
A court on Sunday fixed January 31 for placing remaining arguments in a case lodged over the murder of prominent writer and Dhaka University Professor Dr Humayun Azad.
Judge Maksuda Parvin of the Fourth Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge's Court of Dhaka set the new date.
Today, the defendants' lawyers began presenting arguments in presence of the accused in court. The court then fixed January 31 for the presentation of the remaining arguments.
Earlier on January 18, the prosecution concluded arguments and sought capital punishment for four Jama'atul Mujahideen the case.
During the closing arguments, Advocate Md Shaiful Islam, the public prosecutor of the case, told the court that they were able to prove the charges against all the accused and sought the highest punishment for their involvement in the crime.
Earlier, the court recorded statements of 42 prosecution witnesses, including complainant of the case.
Professor Humayun Azad was hacked by miscreants in Dhaka University area on February 27, 2004, when he was returning from Amar Ekushey Book Fair. On the next day, his brother Monjur Kabir filed a case over attempt to murder with Ramna Police Station.
After the attack, Prof Humayun Azad took treatment in CMH here, and Bangkok, Thailand. He later died on August 12, 2004, as he was undergoing treatment in Germany. The case later turned into a murder case with his death.
On April 30, 2012, CID inspector and investigation officer Lutfur Rahman filed the charge sheet against five JMB militants - Mizanur Rahman alias Minhaz, Anwar Alam alias Bhagne Shahid, Salehin alias Salauddin, Hafiz Mahmud and Nur Mohammad alias Sabu.
- Anushka rape and murder: Court directs DNA test
- ACC files chargesheet against Casino Khalid
- HC orders Papul’s wife, daughter to surrender
- Case files against ex-mayor Sayeed Khokon, 7 others
- 7 judges with rank of District and Session Judge transferred
- Mother-son murdered in Kakrail: Husband among 3 to die
- Writ filed banning Bigo Live, TikTok, Likee apps
- Life imprisonment means jail until death: Appellate Division
- Verdict on sensational Samiul murder case today
- Drug case: Probe report against Irfan Selim deferred
- Hearing on Golden Monir`s bail plea today
- Youth confesses rape, murder of schoolgirl in Kalabagan
- Money laundering: Report against 8 including Papul on Jan 31
- Arrest warrant issued against PK Haldar
- ULAB student rape, death: DJ Neha lands in jail