‘Honorary’ for free power connection!
Published: 18:53 12 June 2019
Customers do not get electricity connection without bribe in Noakhali. Contractors are being bribed as ‘honorary’ from every customer. Over 200 subscribers of the West Eozbaliya village, angry with the authorities not taking any action.
Under the supervision of Noakhali Palli Bidyut Samity, the process of providing residential electricity connections to 202 subscribers of the village has started. From the beginning, allegations of taking bribe from customers against Sonapur Rural Electricity Officer Ramiz Uddin, Sufi Ullah alias Sufi Member. Those who are unable to pay, they are threatened for not getting the connection. Customers also suffer from their electricity meters, wires, pillars trading.
Victim Md. Harun said that he gave Tk 9,000 bribe to Ramiz Uddin for getting electricity connection.
“After paying Tk 9000, Ramiz Uddin and Sufi Member are pressurizing for more money,” alleged Dulal Bepari of the same village.
Seeing the acceptance of bribe as ‘honorary’, Ramiz Uddin and Sufi Ullah said that it is necessary to honor the office and contractors to work at the right time. “So, Tk 4,000-5,000 are taking from customers.”
“Before the start of the electricity connection, the posters, banners, mikings have been done to customers for not involving any financial transactions with brokers” said DGM Md Zahirul Karim of Palli Bidyut’s Sonapur Zone Office, adding, “Nevertheless, if anybody is involved in financial transactions then necessary action will be taken.”
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Fear in bamboo bridge
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Nusrat murder: another accused held in Bhaluka
- Nurse killed after rape in moving bus, 5 held
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Feni madrasa principal put on 7-day remand
- Alim examinee set on fire
DMCH formed board for Feni`s Nusrat Rafi
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Mother-son among 5 killed in Chandpur road crash
- Fire at Titas Gas Field, doused after 1hr
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Anti-Muslim attack in NZ mosque
Woman died while saving her husband
- Arson attack on Feni madrasa girl: another arrested