Homegoers crowd at Kathalbari-Shimulia
Published: 15:59 23 May 2020
Homebound people at the Kathalbari-Shimulia route in Madaripur; Photo: Collected
The number of homebound passengers has increased at the Kathalbari-Shimulia route in Madaripur, as a result, crowds of passengers were witnessed on the ferry as launches and speedboats were shut down on Saturday morning.
Passengers are coming from Dhaka to the Shimulia ferry terminal by road, crossing the Padma River, and coming to Kathalbari. Mainly the working-class family members are returning home from Dhaka ahead of Eid.
Passengers are suffering due to shut down of public transport at Kathalbari Ghat. They were seen rushing to their respective destinations on foot or by small vehicles.
Meanwhile, empty ferries are leaving from Kathalbari Ghat to Shimulia as there is no pressure of Dhaka-bound vehicles and passengers at the ferry ghat. Though the launches and speedboats are shut down as per the government’s announcement, however, passengers are crossing by ferry.
Abdul Alim Mia, manager of the Kathalbari Ferry Terminal, said 13 of the 17 ferries plying the route have been reopened after receiving government instructions after being shut down for the past three days. Passengers are crossing by ferry as launches and speedboats are closed, he added.
- Wife hacked dead in Facebook live
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus suspected youth in Naogaon, report this evening
- Expatriate hospitalised suspecting coronavirus in Sylhet
- 3 women heading an Upazila
- 40 quarantined in Narayanganj
- 29 suspected coronavirus patient quarantine in Madaripur
- Most infected in last 24 hours in Gazipur
- Locust attack in Teknaf
- Beggar donates Tk 10,000 to UNO`s relief fund
- 30 missing as bridal party carrying boat sinks in Padma
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Wife hacked dead in live: Husband gives confessional statement
- 15 Willes Little Flower students injured
Teacher loses hand in Gopalganj road crash