HC upholds verdict in journo Atik murder case
Published: 15:16 8 December 2019 Updated: 16:31 8 December 2019
The High Court (HC) upheld a trial court verdict that sentenced a convict to death and two others for life term imprisonment in the NTV video editor Atikul Islam Atik murder case.
The death-row convict is Md Shakil Shikder while the two lifers are Abdullah Mohammad Ibne Ali Sarker alias Nahid and Md Forkan.
A High Court bench of Justice Shahidul Karim and Justice Md Akhtaruzzaman delivered the judgment on Sunday. Lawyer Zahirul Haque Zahir stood for the accused in the court while Assistant Attorney General Md. Mehedi Hasan stood for the state.
Earlier on December 5, the court set today to deliver its verdict after hearing the death reference and petitions filed by convicts against the lower court sentence.
According to the case statement, Atiq, 32, a video editor of private television channel NTV, was returning home by a motorcycle on February 13, 2009, after office hours when some miscreants swooped on him with guns.
They shot him and snatched his motorcycle from Moghbazar rail crossing area. Later, he was taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where doctors declared him dead.
On February 14, Victim’s elder brother Md Abu Bakar Siddik filed a case with Ramna Police Station.
Detective Branch Inspector Abul Khayer, also investigation officer of the case, submitted a charge-sheet against four accused on August 9, 2009.
On June 24, 2014, a court sentenced Shakil to the death penalty and Nahid and Md Forkan to life imprisonment in the murder case.
- Lawyer fought for Nusrat voluntarily
- Nusrat murder: Principal Siraj among 16 to die
- Important aspects of Nusrat murder case
- Writ seeking Tk 10 cr compensation for Abrar’s family
- Abrar murder: Amit, Toha on 5-day remand
- Tureen Afroz removed from ICT
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- SC asks to demolish illegal hotel-motel at Cox’s Bazar beach
- Holey Artisan attack: 7 to die
- Rule issued on setting up breastfeeding corners
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- Rajib-Dia killing case
2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- Nusrat murder: Death reference sent to HC Tuesday
- SC orders GP to pay Tk 2,000 cr
- ‘Defaming’ holy Quran:
Court orders to crock property of Sefuda