HC issues rule to repeal anti-abortion clause
Published: 20:59 18 August 2020
The High Court on Tuesday has issued a rule asking why sections 312 to 316 of the Anti-Abortion Act of 1860 should not be declared illegal.
The High Court bench of Justice Tariq-ul-Hakim and Justice SM Quddus Zaman passed the rule.
The Secretary of the Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs and the Registrar General of the Supreme Court have been asked to respond to the rule.
Lawyer Syeda Nasrin appeared for the writ petition. On the other hand, Deputy Attorney General Amit Das Gupta was present for the state.
At present, many doctors and nurses do not want to have an abortion for fear of a lawsuit. Therefore, abortion is not possible with established doctors and nurses. In this case, many people have abortions at homes with the help of local doctors and nurses. As a result, it is not possible to end the abortion properly and later it becomes the cause of other diseases, said petitioner’s lawyer Syeda Nasrin.
Due to this, women have a higher risk of getting cancer. Besides, the rate of street children and orphans is increasing day by day due to the lack of abortion opportunities. These sections do not provide abortions for rape victims, as a result, many children are being born unexpectedly, she also said.
Basically, despite not being ready to have children at that time, they have to give birth due to legal hurdles. So I filed this writ challenging the provisions of the law, added lawyer Syeda Nasrin.
- Anushka rape and murder: Court directs DNA test
- ‘Golden Monir’ on 18 days remand
- HC accepts Minni’s appeal, fine suspended
- ACC files chargesheet against Casino Khalid
- Nixon Chowdhury in High Court for anticipatory bail
- 3 to die for killing NSU student Payal
- Verdict in DU student rape case Nov 19
- HC orders Papul’s wife, daughter to surrender
- 7 judges with rank of District and Session Judge transferred
- Case files against ex-mayor Sayeed Khokon, 7 others
- Indictment hearing against Samrat on November 30
- ASP Anisul murder: 10 accused on 7-day remand
- Mother-son murdered in Kakrail: Husband among 3 to die
- Hearing on Golden Monir`s bail plea today
- Nixon Chowdhury’s bail upheld in Chamber Judge’s Court