“Government considering death penalty for rapists”
Published: 12:11 7 October 2020 Updated: 21:22 7 October 2020
Law Minister Anisul Haque
Law Minister Anisul Haque said that the government has been considering to introduce the death penalty for rapists after nationwide outrage.
The Minister made this remark on Wednesday morning while going to the secretariat from his residence.
Recently, a news came out that a woman was gang-raped by miscreants after tying up her husband at the dormitory of Murari Chand (MC) College in Sylhet. Besides, a video went viral on social media, in which it has been seen that a housewife was tortured and sexually harassed by some local miscreants in Noakhali's Begumganj.
A nationwide outrage has begun over these incidents. Protests against the growing incidents of rape, sexual harassment and violence against women continued over the country.
People took to the streets and social networking sites to register their strong protests. Women blacked out their FB profile photos condemning the incidents of violence against women. Some male FB users also joined the protest programme.
Protesting the incidents, from all walks of life, including students, across the country staged demonstrations demanding capital punishment of the rapists.
The law minister said that the law is introduced for the people. As people demanded death penalty for the rapists, the government is considering it with utmost importance.
- Covid-19 vaccination: 50 centers in capital
- Anushka at Dihan`s house: Which was seen in CCTV footage
- Killing schoolgirl after rape: CID collects evidence
- Dewanbagi Pir Syed Mahbub-e-Khoda dies
- ‘Surokkha’ app within Feb 4: DG of DGHS
- Shaheed Dr Milon Day on Friday
- Syed Shamsul Haque’s birth anniversary today
- Cold wave may continue till tomorrow morning
- Legal action will be taken against fake news portals: Hasan
- Work of Mongla port’s new channel completed before schedule time
- ULAB student death: Friend ‘DJ Neha’s obscenity with ‘Client-1,2’
- Globe Biotech allowed to produce ‘Bangavax’ vaccine for trial
- Final feasibility survey before next budget
2nd Padma Bridge also to be funded by govt if necessary
- Bangladesh to deposit money to buy Oxford`s vaccine on Sunday
- General Ataul Hakim Sarwar Hasan appointed Commandant of NDC