Feni madrasa girl Nusrat dies
Published: 22:07 10 April 2019 Updated: 09:38 11 April 2019
Feni's madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi died in Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) while undergoing treatment.
DMCH duty doctors confirmed her death around 9pm on Wednesday.
The madrasa student was set on fire on April 6 allegedly for refusing to withdraw a case filed against Maulana Siraj Ud Doula, principal of Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa for sexually harassing her late last month.
The victim, who suffered 75 percent burns to her body, was put on life support at the burn unit of the DMCH on Monday noon as her condition deteriorated.
On that day, Nusrat went to the madrasa to take an Alim examination, doctors at the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) quoting the victim.
At one stage, she was taken to the roof of the madrasa’s three-storey administrative building. She saw four people wearing veils, burqa and hand gloves there.
Talking to doctors on Sunday, she said they had asked her to withdraw the case, filed against madrasa Principal Maulana Siraj Ud Doula, over sexually harassing her late last month. They also pressed her to give a statement saying that the allegation was false.
As she refused to comply, they tied her hands with a scarf, poured something on her body and asked her to run. She ran away, with her body on fire, according to her statement.
On March 27, the victim’s mother filed a case with Sonagazi Police Station, accusing the madrasa principal of sexually harassing her daughter.
Sonagazi police picked up Siraj on the same day and is now behind bars in the case.
Later, another case was filed with Sonagazi Police Station by the victim’s brother on Monday over the arson attack on the madrasa student.
Meanwhile, three suspects including the main suspect Siraj were placed on remand by a Feni court today.
- Bangladesh to diplomats
Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Eid Jamaat timetable in Dhaka
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- General Aziz Ahmed - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Sayma rape-murder: Main accused arrested
- Interpol issues red notice to ex colonel Shahid Uddin Khan
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Subcontinent’s biggest Eid Jamaat observed in Dinajpur
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)