Ex-MP Shahidul’s son dies after jumping off building
Published: 17:38 11 September 2020 Updated: 15:54 12 September 2020
Barrister Asif Imtiaz Khan Jisad, 33, son of former MP Shahidul Islam of Sirajganj-5 constituency, died after ‘jumping’ from the 9-storey verandah of a building in the capital’s Kathalbagan on Friday morning
Barrister Asif Imtiaz Khan Jisad, 33, son of former MP Shahidul Islam of Sirajganj-5 constituency, died after ‘jumping’ from the 9-storey verandah of a building in the capital’s Kathalbagan.
The incident took place at around 4:30 am on Friday at the house No. 163 on Kathalbagan Free School Street of Kalabagan Police Station.
He was rushed to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) in critical condition and was declared dead by doctors.
Confirming the matter on Friday afternoon, Kalabagan Police Station OC Paritosh Chandra said, “After receiving the news, we went to the spot and listened to the statements of the relatives including the parents of the deceased. The incident is under investigation. Details can be told after the investigation.”
According to his wife Sabrina Shahid Nishi, Barrister Asif used to drink alcohol regularly, as a result, heated arguments took place often between them. “Asif was sitting on the verandah at night and jumped from the 9th floor,” she said.
Asif’s brother-in-law Simon Shahid Nishad told that Asif married his elder sister Sabrina Shahid Nishita four years ago, however, Asif’s family did not accept it. For this, he used to stay at his father-in-law’s house. Asif’s family lived in Mirpur.
“Asif and Sabrina had occasional quarrels over family matters. Asif was intoxicated. He was treated at a rehab center in Uttara for four months,” he said.
Nishad further said that last night there was another quarrel between the husband and wife. At one stage, Asif jumped over the railing from the 9th-floor verandah and fell down. “He was rescued and taken to Square Hospital. When he was brought to DMCH from there, the doctor declared him dead at 5.30 am,” he added.
DMCH hospital police camp in-charge (inspector) Md. Bachchu Mia said the body has been kept in the morgue for autopsy. Kalabagan police are working to find out the cause of the incident.
Meanwhile, Asif’s father Shahidul Islam said that Asif is a lawyer of the Supreme Court. He was the Legal Adviser of Desh Trading Corporation in Motijheel. The people of his father-in-law's house informed in the morning that his condition was not good and he was taken to DMCH hospital.
“I came here later and saw Asif dead,” he said, adding, “Our suspicion is that Asif has been killed. He cannot commit suicide. We demanded a proper investigation into the incident.”
Notably, Asif, son of former MP of Sirajganj-5 (Belkuchi-Kamarkhand) Advocate Shahidul Islam Khan, practicing in the Supreme Court after passing the bar exam.
- Maulana Golam Sarwar Saide dies
- Dr. Zohra Begum Kazi’s 108th birth anniv today
- Killing schoolgirl after rape: CID collects evidence
- Anushka at Dihan`s house: Which was seen in CCTV footage
- Dewanbagi Pir Syed Mahbub-e-Khoda dies
- Army officer adorned ‘Colonel’ rank while in coma for 7 years
- Shaheed Dr Milon Day on Friday
- Legal action will be taken against fake news portals: Hasan
- Two-day weekly holidays in schools, colleges
- Work of Mongla port’s new channel completed before schedule time
- Cold wave may continue till tomorrow morning
- Working to build a vibrant blue economy: PM
- 7hrs raid at Haji Selim’s residence, what recovered…
- Beigun’s remarks over Rohingya issue is inappropriate: China
- Irfan Selim sentenced to one-year imprisonment