Erdogan’s call to boycott French goods
Published: 22:41 26 October 2020 Updated: 23:52 26 October 2020
Recep Tayyip Erdogan; file photo
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on the Turkish citizens to boycott French goods amid a fluster over France's tougher position against Islam.
He made the call Monday in a televised speech in Ankara, the capital of Turkey.
"As it has been said in France, 'don't buy Turkish-labelled goods', I call on my people here. Never give credit to French-labelled goods, don't buy them," Erdogan said.
He urged world leaders to protect Muslims “if there is oppression against Muslims in France”.
Erdogan also angrily criticized French President Emmanuel Macron for pledging to defend secularism against radical Islam.
Erdogan said on Saturday Macron had a problem with Muslims and needed mental checks - a rebuke that caused France to recall its ambassador from Ankara. He made similar comments the next day and again on Monday in a speech in Ankara.
It comes after a teacher was killed for showing cartoons of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in a negative manner.
Boycotts of French goods are underway in supermarkets in Qatar and Kuwait, with further calls to spurn French products in Jordan and other states.
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- US Presidential Polls
Biden ahead in electoral votes at 238, Trump at 210: US media
- 1,200-year-old Pagan Temple to Thor, Odin discovered
- 59 coffins buried 2,500 years ago in Egypt unveiled
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Sarcophagi buried for 2,500 yrs exhumed
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine trial paused on 3rd level
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- Erdogan’s cartoon on French magazine, Turkey for legal action