Dr. Zohra Begum Kazi’s 108th birth anniv today
Published: 10:24 15 October 2020 Updated: 16:18 15 October 2020
Dr. Zohra Begum Kazi
The 107th birth anniversary of Dr. Prof Zohra Begum Kazi, the first Muslim female doctor of the then undivided Bengal, is observing on Thursday.
Marking her birth anniversary, prayers and Fateha will be offered at Banani Graveyard in the capital and tributes will also be paid by placing a wreath at her grave.
Dr. Prof Zohra Begum Kazi, daughter of renowned physician and a political personality of the sub-continent Dr. Kazi Abdus Sattar, who hailed from the famous Kazi family of Gopalpur village.
Born on October 15, 1912, Dr. Zohra Begum Kazi passed the Matriculation exam with distinction from Muslim Girls Collegiate High School, Aligarh in 1928. After passing Intermediate with distinction from Aligarh Muslim University and College in 1930, she obtained an MBBS degree in 1935 from Lady Harding Medical College for Women, Delhi. She stood First Class First and was awarded the Viceroy’s Medal for her meritorious achievement in MBBS final examination.
Dr. Zohra joined Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) in 1949. She was a professor and head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the medical college.
She was a close associate of Mahatma Gandhi, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Maulana Shawkat Ali, Jawaharlal Nehru, Ballay Bhai Patel, Sher-e-Bangla A.K. Fazlul Haque, and many other luminaries of that time.
Dr. Zohra Begum Kazi was married to late Razuuddin Bhuiyan MLC & MP, the only son of the Zamindar of Hatirdia under Raipur Upazilla of Narsingdi district. He was also a dedicated social worker and a renowned politician.
Dr. Zohra Begum Kazi was a dedicated physician who attained the highest degree of professional excellence. The National Museum, Gynecology Society, Nagorik Shambardhana Parishad, Rotaract Club of Buriganga, Aligarh Old Boys Association and Madaripur District Association accorded her receptions. She was also awarded the Begum Rokeya Padak in 2002, Ekushay Padak in 2008, and BMA Sharna Padak.
- Maulana Golam Sarwar Saide dies
- Dr. Zohra Begum Kazi’s 108th birth anniv today
- Killing schoolgirl after rape: CID collects evidence
- Anushka at Dihan`s house: Which was seen in CCTV footage
- Dewanbagi Pir Syed Mahbub-e-Khoda dies
- Army officer adorned ‘Colonel’ rank while in coma for 7 years
- Shaheed Dr Milon Day on Friday
- Legal action will be taken against fake news portals: Hasan
- Two-day weekly holidays in schools, colleges
- Work of Mongla port’s new channel completed before schedule time
- Cold wave may continue till tomorrow morning
- Working to build a vibrant blue economy: PM
- 7hrs raid at Haji Selim’s residence, what recovered…
- Beigun’s remarks over Rohingya issue is inappropriate: China
- Irfan Selim sentenced to one-year imprisonment