Dhaka-Thimphu to confirm PTA
Published: 22:34 9 July 2019 Updated: 22:35 9 July 2019
Bangladesh and Bhutan are going to finalize the Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) aiming to boost trade and business between the two countries.
“We’re going to finalize the PTA for expanding trade and business between the two countries,” Bhutanese Ambassador in Dhaka Sonam T Rabgye today said while paying a farewell call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her Jatiya Sangsad Office here this evening.
After the meeting, PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters.
Pointing out bilateral cooperation in different sectors, Rabgye said one lakh metric tons of stone will reach Narayanganj from Bhutan soon.
Referring to existing excellent bilateral relations, the prime minister said Bhutan has special place in the hearts of the people of Bangladesh.
She recalled that Bhutan was the first country that recognized Bangladesh.
Mentioning the potentiality of hydroelectricity, Sheikh Hasina put emphasis on power sector cooperation among the countries of the region.
While talking about the BBIN initiative, the premier said Bhutan can construct a warehouse at any place of their country so that the vehicles using the BBIN facilities could store the goods there.
Sheikh Hasina and the Bhutanese envoy discussed the road connectivity between the two countries.
She said Bhutan can use Bangladesh’s Syedpur Airport and other seaports.
The prime minister recalled her several visits to Bhutan and said that whenever she goes to attend any conference, she mentioned the natural beauty and environment of Bhutan.
The envoy highly appreciated Bangladesh’s tremendous socioeconomic development under the dynamic leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
He thanked the prime minister for her government’s support to him during his assignment in Bangladesh.
Rabgye recalled the recent visit of the Bhutanese premier to Bangladesh and said the bilateral ties between the two countries reached a new height after the tour.
PM’s Principal Secretary Md Nojibur Rahman and PMO Secretary Sajjadul Hassan were present on the occasion.
- Rubana Huq-led pannel wins BGMEA polls
- Investcorp eager to invest in Bangladesh
- Consulting firm for Payra port terminal appointed
- Mirsarai Economic Zone to witness factory operation in July
- Asia markets climb as Fed signals possible rate cut
- NBR to launch mobile app to increase taxpayers
- ‘1000 workers will go abroad from each upazila’
- Two-day BPO Summit begins tomorrow
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Bangladesh wins best award in Nigeria Intl trade fair
- Poverty rate comes down
- Record budget for FY2019-20: Finance Minister
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Govt moves to strengthen flower marketing system
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela