Dancer Evan lands in jail for trafficking women in Dubai
Published: 17:26 12 September 2020 Updated: 17:34 12 September 2020
Arrested dancer and choreographer Evan Shahriar Sohag
The court on Saturday has ordered to send the dancer and choreographer Evan Shahriar Sohag to jail in connection with the case involving trafficking women in Dubai.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Begum Yasmin Ara passed the order.
The CID, which is investigating the case under the Human Trafficking Act with Lalbagh Police Station, has requested to keep him in jail until the end of the investigation.
On the other hand, his lawyer appealed for bail. The judge later rejected the petition and ordered him sent to jail. Magistrate Begum Yasmin Ara also fixed his bail hearing date on Sunday.
Evan, a National Film Award-winning dancer, is the head of a dance company called ‘Dance Tariff’. His team dances at various corporate events. He also works as a choreographer abroad.
Earlier, the CID’s Organized Crime Division arrested him from Niketan in the capital on Thursday night.
Syeda Jannat Ara, special superintendent of police in the CID’s Organized Crime Division, said Evan Shahriar Sohag had been arrested in a human trafficking case at Lalbagh police station.
Five people have already been arrested for trafficking women as a dancer in Dubai, she said, adding that “the three of them testified and confessed in court that Evan was involved in women trafficking.”
According to the CID, five members of his gang, including Azam Khan, were arrested last August based on the information provided by the Dubai police. They informed CID that the ring was basically ‘dance-centric’. A few dance organizers and artists are part of this network.
They danced at various social events including Gaye Holud, sending the women of the group to Dubai by showing various temptations. Then they were forced to do various anti-social activities there.
- Anushka rape and murder: Court directs DNA test
- ‘Golden Monir’ on 18 days remand
- HC accepts Minni’s appeal, fine suspended
- ACC files chargesheet against Casino Khalid
- Nixon Chowdhury in High Court for anticipatory bail
- 3 to die for killing NSU student Payal
- Verdict in DU student rape case Nov 19
- HC orders Papul’s wife, daughter to surrender
- 7 judges with rank of District and Session Judge transferred
- Case files against ex-mayor Sayeed Khokon, 7 others
- Indictment hearing against Samrat on November 30
- ASP Anisul murder: 10 accused on 7-day remand
- Mother-son murdered in Kakrail: Husband among 3 to die
- Hearing on Golden Monir`s bail plea today
- Nixon Chowdhury’s bail upheld in Chamber Judge’s Court