Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
Published: 18:05 22 August 2019
Commerce Minister Tipu Munshi sought sincere cooperation of Brazilian businessmen and importers alongside the government to pave the way for Bangladeshi products in the country’s market.
He requested the Brazilian government to reduce the existing 35 percent import duty to ease the method of exporting Bangladeshi readymade garment (RMG) and other items to its market.
“If Brazil lowers the duty on import items, its people could get chance to buy world-class Bangladeshi RMG at a reasonable price,” he said during a meeting with the leaders of São Paulo Chamber of Commerce on August 20 in the first phase of his visit to the MERCOSUR, the Southern Common Market comprised of Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay, according to a ministry press release received here today.
Referring to Bangladesh’s ongoing endeavor, he told the leaders of the trade body that the main trade barrier, high import duty can be reduced through signing free trade agreements (FTA).
The minister also invited the Brazilian businessmen to visit Bangladesh to find out ways for boosting the bilateral trade.
Highlighting the different facilities offered by the government to the foreign investors, Tipu said Bangladesh is developing 100 special economic zones with the initiative of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and if they (Brazilian Businessmen) want to invest the government is ready to allot a separate zone to them.
In the meeting, Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) and São Paulo Chamber of Commerce signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU). They also decided to strengthen cooperation between the BGMEA and the Textile and Apparel Department of Brazil. An announcement was also made to hold a single country trade fair by the BGMEA on November 7-8 in Sau Paulo.
- US-China trade war: Trump steps next
- Payra power plant protest leads to Chinese worker’s death
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- NBR to launch mobile app to increase taxpayers
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 14 farms received President Award
- BARVIDA`s new committee to take office tomorrow
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Biggest budget in country’s history to be passed today
- Bengal Commercial Bank launching soon
- ‘Country’s foreign exchange reserve $33 billion’
- Gold price further hiked amid upswing intl market
- Tk 2,02,721cr ADP in FY20 budget
- Gold, silver price abated