Clash between rival BCL groups in DU
Published: 22:50 13 May 2019 Updated: 23:10 13 May 2019
A group of BCL activists in Dhaka University (DU) have been beaten by another BCL group during the protest declaring the new full committee as 'illegal' at Madhu’s Canteen this evening. Meanwhile, some 7 Chhatra League leaders including woman activists have been injured. Among them, Srabani Disha, general secretary of the BCL latest Rokeya Hall committee, was seriously injured. Srabani and others were taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).
Earlier in the afternoon, a 301-member central committee of BCL was announced through a press release, leading to a group who were deprived of desired posts to protest and reject the newly-announced body.
Witnesses said the clash came to a head when the deprived group held a press conference at Madhu’s Canteen to announce their rejection after iftar.
While the press conference was in progress, supporters of BCL President Rezwanul Haque Chowdhury Shovon and General Secretary Golam Rabbani are alleged to have launched the attack disrupting the press conference as the two groups chased each other around the venue.
The agitation left seven BCL members injured.
Shamsun Nahar Hall former BCL general secretary, Jaisamin Shanta, said, "We are in BCL for longtime. But we did not have any position. We were systematically protesting. But we have been beaten.”
Tilottama Shikdar, deputy secretary of the BCL central committee, said “There was no program of BCL where I did not attend. But I have been given a deputy position. This is an insult to the fighters like us.” She will soon announce her resignation, she added.
BCL’s former Publication Secretary Saif Babu, on the side of the deprived group, said “We are working for BCL at the grassroots level for long time but the newly formed committee failed to value us, so we are rejecting the new committee.”
Earlier on July 31, the ruling party’s powerful student wing BCL named its president and secretary to the new central executive committee, a smaller group within the central committee with executive authority.
- 40th BCS seat plan published
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- DUCSU `election schedule` today
- Tomorrow’s SSC exam deferred to March 2
- GUAMC students demonstrate over 6 demands
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- PM invites newly elected Ducsu leaders
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Ducsu Elections
Nur elected VP, Rabbani GS, Saddam AGS
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sports, cultural program held in Scholar`s School & College
- DU to announce DUCSU poll schedule tomorrow
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Jashore board postpones SSC ICT exam