Clash between rival BCL groups in DU
Published: 22:50 13 May 2019 Updated: 23:10 13 May 2019
A group of BCL activists in Dhaka University (DU) have been beaten by another BCL group during the protest declaring the new full committee as 'illegal' at Madhu’s Canteen this evening. Meanwhile, some 7 Chhatra League leaders including woman activists have been injured. Among them, Srabani Disha, general secretary of the BCL latest Rokeya Hall committee, was seriously injured. Srabani and others were taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).
Earlier in the afternoon, a 301-member central committee of BCL was announced through a press release, leading to a group who were deprived of desired posts to protest and reject the newly-announced body.
Witnesses said the clash came to a head when the deprived group held a press conference at Madhu’s Canteen to announce their rejection after iftar.
While the press conference was in progress, supporters of BCL President Rezwanul Haque Chowdhury Shovon and General Secretary Golam Rabbani are alleged to have launched the attack disrupting the press conference as the two groups chased each other around the venue.
The agitation left seven BCL members injured.
Shamsun Nahar Hall former BCL general secretary, Jaisamin Shanta, said, "We are in BCL for longtime. But we did not have any position. We were systematically protesting. But we have been beaten.”
Tilottama Shikdar, deputy secretary of the BCL central committee, said “There was no program of BCL where I did not attend. But I have been given a deputy position. This is an insult to the fighters like us.” She will soon announce her resignation, she added.
BCL’s former Publication Secretary Saif Babu, on the side of the deprived group, said “We are working for BCL at the grassroots level for long time but the newly formed committee failed to value us, so we are rejecting the new committee.”
Earlier on July 31, the ruling party’s powerful student wing BCL named its president and secretary to the new central executive committee, a smaller group within the central committee with executive authority.
- 40th BCS seat plan published
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- GUAMC students demonstrate over 6 demands
- Primary assistant teacher recruitment exam from May 10
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Primary assistant teacher recruitment exam date changes
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- HSC exam on April 29 rescheduled
- Tk 8,088.49 cr budget for 45 public universities
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- New steps to guard questions for primary recruit test
- JU to go on 41-day vacation tomorrow
- DU Dean election April 29
- ‘Bangabandhu Aviation & Aerospace University’ to be established
- NU postpones April 13 exams