Canada to ban Huawei from 5G networks
Published: 11:02 20 May 2022
Canada will ban Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei from its 5G wireless networks, a government source told AFP on Thursday. - Reports AFP
The long-awaited move follows the United States and other key allies due to national security concerns, and on the heels of a diplomatic row between Ottawa and Beijing over the detention of a senior Huawei executive on a US warrant, which has now been resolved.
The United States has warned of the security implications of giving the Chinese tech giant access to key telecommunications infrastructure that could be used for espionage.
Both Huawei and Beijing have rejected the allegation.
Canada has been reviewing the matter for several years, repeatedly delaying a decision that was first expected in 2019.
Ottawa remained silent on the telecoms issue after China jailed two Canadians - diplomat Michael Kovrig and businessman Michael Spavor - in what observers believed was in retaliation for the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wangzhou in Vancouver in December 2018 at the request of the United States.
All three were released in September 2021 after Meng reached a deal with US prosecutors on the fraud charges, ending her extradition fight.
Fifth-generation (5G) wirelesss networks deliver speedier online connections with greater data capacity. - AFP
- NASA says Artemis launch before November will be `difficult`
- Internet speed may be slower at night
- The end of the world is near!
- Jupiter closest to Earth in 59 years today
- South Korea`s first lunar orbiter launched by SpaceX
- Cow to give birth two calves: Bangladesh discovers new tech
- India launches its first SSLV-D1 rocket
- NASA eyes November for launch attempt of Moon rocket
- Bangladesh preparing to lead world in cyber security: Palak
- Asteroid claims to have destroyed dinosaurs in African seas
- Over 13 crore people using internet now: ICT Secretary
- Space mission shows Earth`s water may be from asteroids: study
- NASA scrubs launch of giant Moon rocket, may try again Friday
- The Story Behind the Apple Logo
- NASA`s Tuesday Moon launch threatened by storm