‘BNP’s letter to PM is a public stunt’
Published: 19:38 18 November 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
Information Minister Dr. Hasan Mahmud said on Monday that BNP’s letter to the Prime Minister lacks substance and shows that the party is still practicing anti-India politics.
PM’s Special Assistant Biplob Barua received the letter signed by BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Sunday.
“Sending this letter is nothing but a public stunt,” Mahmud told reporters at the Secretariat.
In the letter, the BNP demanded the details of “agreements signed between India and Bangladesh” during the Prime Minister’s recent visit to the neighboring country be made public.
No new agreement was signed. Some Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) and Standard of Operation of Procedure (SOPs) were signed and the Line of Credit (LoC) that India gave Bangladesh. “Based on it, an agreement was signed on Exim Bank opening an office in Dhaka,” he said, adding that no other agreement was inked.
The Information Minister said he found it amusing that a party like BNP does not know the difference between an agreement and an MoU.
“The MoU recognized that India would take 1.82 cusec water from the Feni River out of 800 cusec water for drinking which they’re already withdrawing but we brought it under a framework,” he added.
Talking about agreement facilitating India to use Chattogram and Mongla ports, the minister said this agreement was signed in the past, and recently just the SOP was signed based on the previous agreement which would boost the economy.
The BNP letter did not demand the release of its incarcerated Chairperson Khaleda Zia, the minister said. He said, “They wrote to the Prime Minister for the first time since Khaleda Zia’s arrest but didn’t seek her release. It didn’t contain a single word for her.”
Khaleda, a former prime minister, has been in jail since February last year after she was found guilty of corruption.
Her party maintains that the cases were politically motivated and has been demanding her release.
- Parash to be the chairman of Jubo League!
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- ‘Samrat’ of Dhaka South arrested
- Wife blasts about Samrat
- GK Shamim is none of Jubo League: Omar Farooq
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- BNP foreigner complaint centric, not pro-people: Hasan
- Parash vows to work as ordinary JL activist
- Samrat wanted to flee in India
- GM Quader JP Chair, LOP Rowshan
- Sadeque Hossain Khoka passes away
- Samrat-Arman expelled from Jubo League
- Dhaka Metropolitan Awami League Council’19
Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS