BNP turns a blind eye: Quader
Published: 16:10 10 September 2019
BNP did not construct Highway and so they do not have any idea about their maintenance, said Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, adding that they (BNP) give a blind eye despite knowing the practices in different countries of the world.
Quader, also Awami League general secretary, came up with the remarks while talking to reporters after visiting Dhaka-Mymensingh Highway's Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project in Tongi Upazila of Gazipur on Tuesday morning.
Recently at a meeting of the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (Ecnec), Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina instructed the authorities concerned to collect toll from long-haul vehicles plying the national highways. BNP criticised the decision.
About BNP’s criticism over the government decision to collect toll from vehicles which ply highways, Quader said the renovation of roads is required for their maintenance and those who use the roads and highways have some responsibilities.
Meanwhile, the Awami League general secretary welcomed BNP for its decision to take part in the Ranpur by-election saying it is a very positive move in politics.
“Hope, this election will be a competitive one, and the government will provide all necessary support so that it can be held in a free and fair manner,” he said.
Gazipur City Corporation Mayor Md Jahangir Alam, Deputy Commissioner SM Tariqul Islam and Police Commissioner Anwar Hossain were also present.
The by-election to the Rangpur-3 seat, which fell vacant following the death of Jatiya Party Chairman HM Ershad, will be held on October 5.
- Bangladesh Awami League: 71 yrs of glorious journey
- Our key agenda during pandemic is to ‘Help the people’: Lekhak
- Former Home Minister Sahara Khatun placed in ICU
- Mahbubul Alam Hanif flies to Canada
- ‘Be vigilance so that Mourning Day’s atmosphere should not ruin’
- ‘Speaking of democracy by perpetrators a part of conspiracy’
- Ershad’s first death anniversary today
- Amir Hossain Amu made spokesperson of 14-party alliance
- Only Awami League is providing services at risk: Quader
- ‘BNP-Jamaat didn’t think of Alems even when in power’
- ‘Islami Andolan’ in home-based politics in COVID-19 situation
- Obaidul Quader mourns Kamran’s death
- JaPa under Bidisha’s leadership!
- Sahara Khatun to be shifted to BSMMU on Sat
- BNP oblivious in Khaleda`s bail extend; seeking political benefit