BNP to stage hunger strike Sunday seeking Khaleda’s release
Published: 23:11 6 April 2019
BNP is set to observe a six-hour token hunger strike in the capital on Sunday demanding its chairperson Khaleda Zia’s release from jail.
The programme is scheduled to begin at 10am in front of the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh and end at 4pm.
BNP senior leaders, including its secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, are expected to address the programme.
On Tuesday last, the party announced the programme from a milad mahfil held its Nayapaltan central office.
Khaleda was admitted to the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) on Monday with severe pain in the joints of her hands and legs, insomnia and high sugar level.
Khaleda, a former prime minister, has been in jail since February 8 last year when she was convicted of corruption. She was later found guilty in another corruption case.
Her release remains the BNP’s main demand and the party has been accusing the government of neglecting her treatment.
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Obaidul Quader almost cured
- Ershad condemns blasts in Sri Lanka
- Ershad`s son Eric receives kidnap threat
- 4 BNP MPs-elect in Parliament for oath
- Jamaat has no right of politics: Hanif
- Country’s 99 pc workers deprived of rights: GM Quader
- Hasina calls for strengthening Awami League at grassroots
- Niketa gets AL ticket for Bogura-6 by-poll
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- Four BNP MPs-elect take oath
- JaPa co-chairman meets ailing Quader in Singapore