BNP to stage hunger strike Sunday seeking Khaleda’s release
Published: 23:11 6 April 2019
BNP is set to observe a six-hour token hunger strike in the capital on Sunday demanding its chairperson Khaleda Zia’s release from jail.
The programme is scheduled to begin at 10am in front of the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh and end at 4pm.
BNP senior leaders, including its secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, are expected to address the programme.
On Tuesday last, the party announced the programme from a milad mahfil held its Nayapaltan central office.
Khaleda was admitted to the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) on Monday with severe pain in the joints of her hands and legs, insomnia and high sugar level.
Khaleda, a former prime minister, has been in jail since February 8 last year when she was convicted of corruption. She was later found guilty in another corruption case.
Her release remains the BNP’s main demand and the party has been accusing the government of neglecting her treatment.
- BNP`s politics depends on Television: Quader
- No alternative of unity in coronavirus disaster: Obaidul Quader
- Bangladesh Awami League: 71 yrs of glorious journey
- ‘Domestic, foreign clique engaged in propaganda’
- Former Home Minister Sahara Khatun placed in ICU
- Our key agenda during pandemic is to ‘Help the people’: Lekhak
- Quader urges to celebrate Eid following health rules
- Mahbubul Alam Hanif flies to Canada
- Nasim’s condition unchanged after 8 days of life support
- ‘BNP making provocative remarks to break the unity’
- Islami Oikya Jote chairman Maulana Nezami passes away
- ‘If situation worsens, govt will go tougher decisions again’
- Nasim’s condition stable, remains under observation for 72 hrs
- No politics with reliefs: Tofail
- BNP lost from politics field: Khalid Mahmud