Asia’s Bengal Tigers begin with victory
Published: 23:39 2 June 2019 Updated: 10:06 3 June 2019
Bangladesh starts 12th ICC World Cup with victory beating South Africa by 21 runs. Tigers scored 330 runs while South Africa's innings end after scoring 309 runs to chase Bangladesh.
Bangladesh posts their highest score 330/6 in a 50-over World Cup and their highest score against South Africa in ODIs after being sent into bat. It was set up by Soumya at the top with a blistering 42. Then Shakib and Mushfiqur put together an outstanding 142-run stand before Mahmudullah and Mosaddek finished the job.
After winning the toss South Africa asked Bangladesh to bat first.
Openers, Tamim Iqbal and Soumya Sarkar added 60 runs in 8.2 overs.
Bangladesh lost the first wicket when Faf du Plessis called first change of bowler Andile Phehlukwayo. In his second delivery of the match, he removed Tamim Iqbal off a deadly bouncer.
Tamim tried to move the bat away but at the end, he managed an outside edge. Quinton de Kock took an easy catch behind the wicket.
For South Africa AL Phehlukwayo, CH Morris and Imran Tahir took 2 wickets each.
- Shakib removes dangerous Pant
- Copa América
Argentina faces Venezuela in Quarter Final tonight
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- Caribbean came to end defeated to India by 125 runs
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Tigers reach Ctg to play Test against Afghans
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today