Argentina crushed Mexico on Martinez’s hat trick
Published: 12:40 11 September 2019 Updated: 17:06 11 September 2019
Lautaro Martinez scored hat trick as Argentina beat Mexico in San Antonio; Photo: Collected
Lautaro Martinez scored a first-half hat trick as Argentina ran past Mexico 4-0 in an international friendly match on Tuesday in San Antonio.
Martinez — plays for Inter Milan — repeatedly took advantage of sloppy Mexican defending during the first half. He slotted in his first in the 17th minute with a slick left-footed shot from just inside the box.
He struck again five minutes later after getting behind Mexico’s line and added his third in the 39th minute after robbing the ball from Nestor Araujo.
Paris Saint-Germain’s Leandro Paredes scored Argentina’s 4th goal from the penalty shot in the 33rd minute.
Meanwhile, Mexico came into the Alamodome after beating the U.S. 3-0 on Friday and riding an 11-game winning streak under manager Gerardo Tata Martino, but his former side emphatically halted that with an offensive outburst from which El Tri ultimately couldn’t recover.
After the match, Martino pleaded for more games moving forward against top-level opposition.
“I don’t think (the defeat) is our reality and I also don’t think that going 11 games without losing was our reality,” said Martino in a press conference after the game. “Mexico needs more games against world powers to test themselves regularly in trying conditions.”
Eight players were shown yellow cards in the match that rarely lived up to its friendly billing, but the game will be remembered largely for the brilliant finishing that brought the 22-year-old Martinez his first international hat trick.
- Shakib removes dangerous Pant
- Copa América
Argentina faces Venezuela in Quarter Final tonight
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- Caribbean came to end defeated to India by 125 runs
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Tigers reach Ctg to play Test against Afghans
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today