AL’s programs on anniv of grenade attack
Published: 11:58 21 August 2019 Updated: 16:02 21 August 2019
Awami League has taken elaborate programmes to observe the 15th anniversary of the gruesome grenade attack on an Awami League (AL) anti-terrorism rally in the capital on August 21 in 2004 on Wednesday.
The programme includes paying homage to martyrs of August 21 grenade attacks, candle-light vigil and discussion, according to a press release.
AL and its associate bodies placed wreaths at a makeshift altar in front of the party’s central office at Bangabandhu Avenue at around 9:00 am today in memory of martyrs of August 21 grenade attacks.
A discussion is scheduled to be held at Krishibid Institution of Bangladesh (KIB) at Khamarbari in capital’s Farmgate area at 4:00 pm. Awami League President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is expected to chair the discussion. Intellectuals and national leaders will address it.
AL General Secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader requested leaders and workers of AL, associate bodies and supporters across the country to observe the programmes of the day.
The gruesome grenade attack was carried out at an anti-terrorism rally of Awami League (AL) at Bangabandhu Avenue in the capital on August 21 in 2004 aiming to bankrupt the party leadership during the BNP-Jamaat alliance government.
By the grace of the Almighty, the then opposition leader and incumbent Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and other front-ranking leaders of AL narrowly escaped the carnage.
But, 24 people including the then Mahila AL president and wife of late Bangladesh President Zillur Rahman were killed and over 500 others injured in the attack and many of them became crippled for life.
- Ershad`s son Eric receives kidnap threat
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- JaPa chairman Ershad in life support
- Ailing Ershad on oxygen support: doctors
- Ershad’s condition too critical to send abroad: GM Kader
- AL observes 70th founding anniversary
- Ershad`s physical condition remains unchanged
- ASM Abdur Rab hospitalized
- Rape allegation against JP Secretary General
- BNP foreigner complaint centric, not pro-people: Hasan
- Death news rumored, Ershad is alive: GM Quader
- BNP’s Rumeen Farhana takes oath
- ‘Condolence Book’ in memory Ershad
- Declare state of emergency to tackle dengue: Fakhrul
- Quader visit ailing Ershad at CMH