AIIB approves $250m for Bangladesh to fight against COVID-19
Published: 17:09 21 May 2020 Updated: 17:10 21 May 2020
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved a $250 million (Tk 2,120cr around) loan to Bangladesh for extending cooperation to Bangladesh government’s utmost efforts for combating COVID-19.
AIIB approved the loan as a co-financing of a program with Asian Development Bank (ADB), a press release said on Thursday.
The loan is a part of a programme to provide the Bangladesh government with budget support to mitigate the adverse effects of the pandemic on the country's poor and most vulnerable, particularly those affected by job losses in Small and Medium Enterprises(SME) and the informal sector, as well as strengthen social safety nets. The programme also has specific targets to support women in export-oriented industries, according to the release.
According to ADB estimates, a serious outbreak would result in job losses ranging from 1.4 to 3.7 million.
AIIB Vice President (Investment Operations) DJ Pandian said, "Our support to Bangladesh is part of AIIB's broader proactive efforts to respond to the needs of our vulnerable members to weather the COVID-19 crisis."
Pandian noted that Bangladesh had in recent years performed exceedingly well with annual growth averaging 7.4 percent over the last five years. It is incumbent on the international community to come together to ensure that the country does not fall behind but continues to make strides in its development efforts.
- BB releases commemorative notes marking ‘Mujib Borsho’
- Where Tk 200 note will be available
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- SME products fair begins in Magura
- Foreign exchange reserves $33bn again
- ADB announces $650cr initial response to corona pandemic
- BB relaxes interest on all types of bank loans
- Interest on P.O. savings to return to previous rates
- TCB starts selling onion at Tk 25
- Bangladesh to export PPE after meeting local demand
- Tk15,000cr fund formed to support business and service sector
- ‘Hospitals similar to China to be built to combat corona’
- Pension within 3-day of bill submission
- Global economy may suffer up to 9.7 pc due to COVID-19: ADB
- All expatriates will get incentives on remittance