7 killed, 70 injured in Pakistan’s Peshawar madrasa blast
Published: 11:59 27 October 2020 Updated: 12:44 27 October 2020
Television footage from the scene of the blast showed significant damage to the interior of the mosque’s main prayer hall; Photo: Abdul Majeed/AFP
An explosion at a religious school (madrasa) in the northwestern city of Peshawar, Pakistan has killed at least seven people and wounded 70 others, police officials say.
The blast occurred at the Speen Jamaat mosque, which also serves as a religious school or madrasa for local children, at 8:30 am local time (3:30 GMT) on Tuesday.
A police official, reluctant to disclose the name, told the media “It was not a suicide attack, there were explosives that had been kept in a bag there”.
Television footage from the scene of the blast showed significant damage to the interior of the mosque’s main prayer hall, with pockmarks dotting the ceiling and debris strewn across the floor, reports Al Jazeera.
Tariq Burki, the director of Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) nearby, told that more casualties are feared as some of the wounded children are in “critical condition”.
Provincial health minister Taimur Khan Jhagra said the wounded were being treated at the LRH hospital. “There have been 72 patients brought to the hospital and there have been seven unfortunate deaths,” he told reporters.
“Our sole focus right now is for the injured patients to be given the best possible care and so that they have the best chance to recover,” he added.
Source: Al Jazeera, oneindia.
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- US Presidential Polls
Biden ahead in electoral votes at 238, Trump at 210: US media
- 1,200-year-old Pagan Temple to Thor, Odin discovered
- 59 coffins buried 2,500 years ago in Egypt unveiled
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- Sarcophagi buried for 2,500 yrs exhumed
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine trial paused on 3rd level
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- Erdogan’s cartoon on French magazine, Turkey for legal action