7 including 3 election officials, 2 Ansar members shot dead in Rangamati
Published: 19:33 18 March 2019 Updated: 10:07 19 March 2019
At least seven people including three election officials and two Ansar members were shot dead by criminals in Baghaichhari upazila of Rangamati this evening
The deceased were identified as Abdul Hanna Arab, presiding officer, Abu Toyeb, assistant presiding officer, Amir Hossain, assistant polling officer, Ansar members Al Amin and Bilkis Akhtar, and two others -- Mantu Chakma and Mihir Kanti Dutta, Alamgir Kabir, superintendent of police in Rangamati told our local correspondent.
They came under attack in Noymile area when they were returning to the upazila town after concluding voting at Konglak Government Primary School polling centre under Sajek union in the upazila, the police official said.
Unidentified criminals opened fire at the election officials around 6:00pm, leaving four of them dead on the spot and eight others injured, the police official said.
There of the injured died after they were taken to the Baghaichhari Upazila Health Complex, he added.
Some of the injured were taken to the Combined Military Hospital in Chattogram by a helicopter as their condition deteriorated, the SP said.
The deadly incident happened despite the deployment of army personnel during the second phase of the upazila election held in three hill districts today.
- Rifat murder prime accused Nayon Bond killed in gunfight
- Fear in bamboo bridge
- Nusrat murder: another accused held in Bhaluka
- Nurse killed after rape in moving bus, 5 held
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- Minni satisfied over death of Nayon Bond
- Mother-son among 5 killed in Chandpur road crash
- Shocked at sister`s death
Nusrat’s ailing brother hospitalized
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Rajshahi mango to be available from May 15
- Per kg of mango costs Tk 4!
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF