7 including 3 election officials, 2 Ansar members shot dead in Rangamati
6 other incl policemen injured
Published: 19:33 18 March 2019 Updated: 10:07 19 March 2019
At least seven people including three election officials and two Ansar members were shot dead by criminals in Baghaichhari upazila of Rangamati this evening
The deceased were identified as Abdul Hanna Arab, presiding officer, Abu Toyeb, assistant presiding officer, Amir Hossain, assistant polling officer, Ansar members Al Amin and Bilkis Akhtar, and two others -- Mantu Chakma and Mihir Kanti Dutta, Alamgir Kabir, superintendent of police in Rangamati told our local correspondent.
They came under attack in Noymile area when they were returning to the upazila town after concluding voting at Konglak Government Primary School polling centre under Sajek union in the upazila, the police official said.
Unidentified criminals opened fire at the election officials around 6:00pm, leaving four of them dead on the spot and eight others injured, the police official said.
There of the injured died after they were taken to the Baghaichhari Upazila Health Complex, he added.
Some of the injured were taken to the Combined Military Hospital in Chattogram by a helicopter as their condition deteriorated, the SP said.
The deadly incident happened despite the deployment of army personnel during the second phase of the upazila election held in three hill districts today.
- ‘Masjid-e-Nawazish’, most beautiful mosque in Sirajganj
- Eskayef produces COVID-19 drug Remdesivir for 1st time in country
- Habibur’s `Happy Child` won Agora Smile-2020 contest
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- 3 including two brothers killed in N’ganj septic tank blast
- Drug trader killed in Joypurhat gunfight
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- Story of a COVID-19 fighter
‘Hot water gargle can relieve from coronavirus’
- 3 hunters detained, 22 deer released
- Drug addict father landed in jail by Son
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- ‘Those are grasshoppers, not locusts’
8 new infected in Shariatpur, 40 houses locked down
- Drug dealer Ripon killed in Dakkhinkhan ‘gunfight’
- Investigation Report
Oxygen cylinder worth of 1,000 sold at 30,000 taka