6 to die for killing school teacher, his wife
Published: 13:16 13 September 2020 Updated: 15:50 13 September 2020
Anil Kumar Das and his wife Kalpana Rani
A tribunal has sentenced six people to death in a case for murdering Anil Kumar Das, a retired primary school teacher in Tangail, and his wife Kalpana Rani over property.
Judge Abu Zafar Md Kamruzzaman of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 of Dhaka handed down the verdict on Sunday.
The condemned convicts are - Swapan Kumar Das, Zahidul Islam, Farhad, Moniruzzaman Bhuiyan, Manjurul Islam and Shayan Mia.
According to the case statement, Anil's step brother Swapan Kumar Das alias Swapan Soumitra hired the other accused and killed the elderly couple to take control of 60 decimals of land belonging to him.
On July 26, 2017, Swapan along with the accused entered Anil's house at Rasulpur village in Tangail Sadar, and pressured him to sign a deed handing over the property. As Anil refused to comply, they smothered the 70-year-old to death using a pillow. They also killed Anil's wife Kalpana, 55, in a similar fashion as she walked in on them.
Police recovered their bodies in the next morning from a covered well next to their house. The killers had attached weights to the bodies.
Dead Anil Kumar's son Nirmal Kumar Das filed a case with Tangail Sadar Police Station in this regard.
- Anushka rape and murder: Court directs DNA test
- ‘Golden Monir’ on 18 days remand
- HC accepts Minni’s appeal, fine suspended
- ACC files chargesheet against Casino Khalid
- Nixon Chowdhury in High Court for anticipatory bail
- 3 to die for killing NSU student Payal
- Verdict in DU student rape case Nov 19
- HC orders Papul’s wife, daughter to surrender
- 7 judges with rank of District and Session Judge transferred
- Case files against ex-mayor Sayeed Khokon, 7 others
- Indictment hearing against Samrat on November 30
- Mother-son murdered in Kakrail: Husband among 3 to die
- ASP Anisul murder: 10 accused on 7-day remand
- Hearing on Golden Monir`s bail plea today
- Nixon Chowdhury’s bail upheld in Chamber Judge’s Court