AC blast at Narayanganj mosque, 40 burnt
Published: 21:52 4 September 2020 Updated: 13:07 13 September 2020
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
At least 40 people have been injured in an air conditioner (AC) blast in Narayanganj Sadar.
The incident took place at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque in West Talla of Fatulla on Friday night during Esha prayer.
Among the injured, 37 have been admitted to Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery.
Doctors said their condition is critical. The maximum portion of their body has been burnt.
According to the locals, an AC inside the mosque exploded with a loud noise at 8:45 pm. At that time there were around 40 people inside the mosque.
Five fire fighting units rushed to the after being informed.
Debashish Bardhan, deputy director of the fire brigade, said there were six ACs weighing 1.5 tonnes. All have exploded together. The existence of freon gas used in AC is found in the air inside the mosque. It is being investigated whether there is any other reason behind this.
Abdullah Arefin, deputy assistant director of the fire service and civil defense Narayanganj office, said there was a leak in the gas line under the basement of the mosque. It is believed that the gas was stored inside when the AC was running. This explosion may have been caused by a spark when someone suddenly switches the electrical switch off-on.
- ‘See You Not For Mind’; Viral Shyamal finally ties knot
- 6 killed in two buses collision in Rangpur
- 10-feet, 80-kg rare ‘Sailfish’ caught in Patharghata
- ‘Late’ Amena returns home after 22 years
- Asif Iqbal Khukan extends his helping hands to the poor
- 16 members of wedding party killed in lightning strike
- 3rd shipment of Oxygen Express arrived
- 2 children among 5 of a family burnt in cylinder explosion
- 6 killed as truck hits autorickshaw in Habiganj
- 7 dead as microbus falls into pond in Cox’s Bazar
- Citrus fruit farming contributes to Rajshahi’s economy
- 6 killed in Bagerhat early-morning road crash
- Panama’s ‘Sucker Fish’ caught in Satkania
- Sylhet district AL president Lutfur Rahman dies
- 4yrs of Rohingya arrival: Myanmar procrastinating repatriation