4 ministers appointed in Sri Lanka’s new cabinet
Published: 20:13 14 May 2022 Updated: 20:15 14 May 2022
The 4 ministers in the Sri Lanka`s new cabinet -- Dinesh Gunawardena (Left), G.L. Peiris (Left to 2nd), Prasanna Ranatunga (Middle) and Kanchana Wijesekera (Right); Photo: Collected
Sri Lankan president Gotabaya Rajapaksa today appointed four ministers to the new cabinet after United National Party (UNP) leader Ranil Wickremesinghe was sworn in as the South Asian country’s new prime minister on Thursday.
The new appointments are — Dinesh Gunawardena as the minister of public administration, G.L. Peiris as the minister of foreign affairs, Prasanna Ranatunga as the minister of urban development, and Kanchana Wijesekera as the minister of power and energy, President’s Media Division said on Saturday.
Senior political officials said “more ministers will be appointed” as the president and prime minister are urging all political parties to join hands to form a national government to tackle the ongoing political and economic instability in the country.
Former Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa stepped down on Monday, following violent incidents reported between pro-government groups and anti-government protesters. – Xinhua
- Israel hits Gaza with air attacks as tensions escalate
- Albania suffers renewed cyber attack, blames Iran
- Queen Elizabeth`s doctors "concerned" over health
- Queen Elizabeth lying in state in Westminster Hall
- 3 killed in lightning strike near White House
- Draupadi Murmu sworn in as India’s President
- Bus plunges into river valley in Kenya, kills 24
- China to conduct military operations in Taiwan at any time!
- Rohingyas will be resettled in US: Blinken
- 9 killed in jeep-car collision near Bengaluru
- Biden again tests positive for Covid, returns to isolation
- Japan police chief to resign over Abe shooting
- 3 killed, 6 wounded in China kindergarten stabbing: police
- 8 killed in Kabul blast, IS claims responsibility
- Biden announces $3 billion in additional aid to Ukraine