3 stabbed to death in UK park
Published: 10:24 21 June 2020 Updated: 11:23 21 June 2020
Three people were killed and three others were seriously injured in stabbings in a park in southern English city of Reading on Saturday, police said.
The attack happened at Forbury Gardens at about 19:00 BST.
"This is not currently being treated as a terrorism incident, however officers are keeping an open mind as to the motivation for the incident and are being supported by colleagues from Counter Terrorism Policing South East," the police said in a statement.
A 25-year-old Libyan man from Reading has been arrested on suspicion of murder after being detained at the scene, BBC reports.
One eyewitness told the BBC how he saw a man move between groups of people in the park trying to stab them and how the man ran towards him.
There were reports a police officer had "rugby tackled" the suspect to the ground, according to the Sunday Mirror.
Police blocked off several roads in the city center, and two air ambulances were called to treat the wounded.
Detective Chief Superintendent Ian Hunter, Thames Valley Police’s head of crime, said the rally and the stabbings were not connected.
"My thoughts are with all of those affected by the appalling incident in Reading and my thanks to the emergency services on the scene," Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.
- Bangalore clash: 3 killed, Sec 144 imposed (video)
- Trump accused of rape: US court deadlines for DNA submit
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- Trump’s heartfelt statement over younger’s death
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- Air strikes in Afghanistan kill 45
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Yes, Trump conspired with the Russians; Admits republican Senat
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Man cuts pregnant wife’s belly to check baby’s gender