20,000 families flood affected in Rangpur
Published: 22:19 10 July 2019 Updated: 22:19 10 July 2019
Relentless rainfall and downstream caused sever flooding in Rangpur region. Due to increase water in Kaunia point about 20,000 families affected by flood in Kaunia, Gangachara, Pirganacha upazila of the district.
Water Development Board's Deputy Divisional Engineer Hafizur Haque said 44 gates of Teesta Barrage have been opened due to downstream and heavy rainfall. Floods have occurred in the villages of the Barrage area.
Tepamdhupur UP chairman Shafiqul Islam said that more than 100 families of the UP have been affected by floods. Thousands of families of 10 villages on the banks of the river flooded on Wednesday morning. Many families have been moved to safe shelter.
Kaunia UNO Ms. Ulfat Ara Begum said all the preparations have been made officially. Five hundred families of the villages of Southpara, Paikan, Bankpara, Hajipara, and Alamviditar have become flooded and 10 thousand families of Alamviditar, Char Ichali, Bagerhat, Jairamozha, Isabakul and lamitari UP affected.
Lakhitari UP Chairman Abdullah Al-Hadi said that due to the sudden increase of Teesta water, 10 thousand people of their UP's Char area have become flooded. Communication has been made to provide relief to the Upazilas. Four hundred people have become affected in Chowla, Paontana UP in Pirgacha upazila.
Mostafizar Rahman, Assistant Meteorological Officer of Rangpur Meteorological office, said that in the last 48 hours around 180 mm rainfall was recorded. In many places, the road has been submerged in water.
Executive Engineer of Rangpur Water Development Board Mehedi Hasan said, the water flowing through 28.65 cms below the kaunia point on Wednesday afternoon. Water can flow over the danger range if it rains. However, there is no fear of floods.
- Rifat murder prime accused Nayon Bond killed in gunfight
- Fear in bamboo bridge
- Nusrat murder: another accused held in Bhaluka
- Nurse killed after rape in moving bus, 5 held
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Feni madrasa principal put on 7-day remand
- Alim examinee set on fire
DMCH formed board for Feni`s Nusrat Rafi
- Mother-son among 5 killed in Chandpur road crash
- Arson attack on Feni madrasa girl: another arrested
- Shocked at sister`s death
Nusrat’s ailing brother hospitalized
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Minni satisfied over death of Nayon Bond
- Rajshahi mango to be available from May 15
- Per kg of mango costs Tk 4!