2 sedition cases filed against Priya Saha
Published: 12:12 21 July 2019 Updated: 13:17 21 July 2019
Two sedition cases have been lodged against Priya Saha for making a false complaint to US President Donald Trump against Bangladesh for maligning its image.
Supreme Court Lawyer and Prosecutor of International Crimes Tribunal Barrister Syed Sayedul Haque Suman filed a case with the Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Ziaur Rahman's court on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Advocate Md Ibrahim Khalil, executive committee member of the Dhaka Bar Association, filed another complainant suit with Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Abu Sufiyan Md Noman against Priya Saha on sedition charges on the same day.
Both the plaintiffs pleaded to take into cognizance the charges against her under section 123 (a), 124 (a), and 500 of the penal code.
The court is scheduled to hold hearings on them today.
Priya, one of the organizing secretaries of Bangladesh Hindu-Bouddha-Christian Oikya Parishad, had told Trump on Tuesday that 37 million Hindus, Buddhists and Christians had disappeared from Bangladesh and that her home was torched and her land was grabbed by Muslim fundamentalists.
Bangladesh strongly condemned the false allegations. The government on Saturday said that there appears to be an ulterior motive behind Priya Saha’s false and concocted stories aimed at maligning Bangladesh.
- Lawyer fought for Nusrat voluntarily
- Nusrat murder: Principal Siraj among 16 to die
- Important aspects of Nusrat murder case
- Rifat murder
HC grants bail to Minni
- Abrar murder: Amit, Toha on 5-day remand
- US-Bangla cabin crew placed on 2-day remand
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Abrar murder case hands over to DB
- Khaled put on 7-day remand
- Abrar murder: 10 accused remanded for five days
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- Samrat lands in jail!
- Rule issued on setting up breastfeeding corners
- Razakar Musa gets death penalty
- Cop seeks remand for Casino Selim