2 miraculous survivors in Pakisani plane crash
Published: 15:11 23 May 2020
97 people have been and two survived when a Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) plane crashed into homes in Pakistan's southern city of Karachi on Friday.
Meeran Yousuf, the media coordinator for the Sindh health minister, confirmed that two passengers had survived and were brought to hospitals. She identified the survivors as Zubair and Zafar Masood, who is the president of Bank of Punjab.
"Zubair has 35 per cent burns and is being treated at the [Dr Ruth Pfau] Civil Hospital Karachi, while Masood has four fractures and is being treated at the Darul Sehat Hospital," said Yousuf, adding that both were in stable condition.
A third person, who had earlier been identified as a survivor from the plane, was later confirmed to be a resident of the area where the plane crashed. She was among the 11 persons, who were injured when the plane crashed into the residential area, damaging several houses in its wake.
Yusuf said that the majority of the injured were women, as it was time for Friday prayers when the crash occurred. She added that all the injured residents were in stable condition.
PIA spokesperson Abdullah Hafeez said that the A320 Airbus was carrying 91 passengers and 8 crew members from Lahore to Karachi on PK 8303.
Eyewitnesses said the Airbus A320 appeared to attempt to land two or three times before crashing in a residential area near the airport. The aeroplane first hit a mobile tower and crashed over houses, a witness said near the site, just a few kilometres short of the airport.
- 1.6 crore Italians in quarantine
- Coronavirus vaccine trial starts today
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Coronavirus spreading through AC
- Coronavirus in China gets incursive with death toll rising
- Ghani sworn in as Afghan president amid crisis
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- 68,000 coronavirus patients make full recovery (update list)
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Kim Jong Un in grave danger
- BBC broadcasts Islamic sermons in UK as mosques remain shut
- US army brought coronavirus to Wuhan!
Kim Jong Un dies!