18 workers, sleeping on road, killed as truck rams bus in India
Published: 11:43 28 July 2021 Updated: 14:56 28 July 2021
The truck hit the bus in Uttar Pradesh, India, crushing 18 workers to death; Photo: Collected
At least 18 workers, sleeping on the road. were crushed to death after a speeding truck hit a bus in Uttar Pradesh, India.
The accident took place in the early morning on Wednesday at Uttar Pradesh’s Barabanki district, 28 km from the state capital Lucknow, reports NDTV.
NDTV reported that the slain workers were residents of Bihar. They were returning from Haryana on Tuesday night. When their bus broke down on the national highway that leads to Bihar at night, the workers slept on the road in front of the bus.
At that time, the truck hit the bus from behind, causing the bus to move ahead and crushed the workers. In this, 18 workers lost their lives.
Some of the injured have been rescued and are being treated at a local hospital.
Barabanki Superintendent of Police Yamuna Prasad said the double-decker bus was traveling from Haryana to Bihar with around 100 passengers.
He said many passengers were asleep inside the bus. The truck hit the bus so hard that many of the passengers sleeping inside the bus fell on the road. The condition of many is alarming.
According to the Times of India, the police reached the spot after receiving information that the “mutilated limbs of human beings were scattered on the road”.
The crashed bus was removed from the road by a crane. No arrests have been made in the incident.
- Hundreds of unmarked graves found at Canada residential school
- Covid Delta variant as transmissible as chickenpox: CDC
- India records 624 more fatalities
- Huge floods leave 120 dead in Europe
- Kim Jong Un `emaciated`, citizens heartbroken: state TV
- First case of deadly Marburg virus in West Africa detected
- Gunmen kidnap 140 school students in northwest Nigeria
- Probe body formed over 14 killed in China warehouse blaze: Xinhua
- China ready for ‘friendly relations’ with Taliban
- `Smallest baby at birth` discharged from hospital after 13 months
- Miami building collapse: Death toll climbs to 9; 150 missing
- Haiti earthquake: Death toll climbs to over 1,297
- Israeli forces open fire on Palestinians; 379 injured
- 20 missing after heavy rains trigger landslide in Japan
- 43 incl Bangladeshis missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia