18 ponds submerged by Amphan influence
Published: 20:20 23 May 2020 Updated: 01:02 24 May 2020
Shyamnagar upazila of Satkhira district, the southern part of the country, was hit by cyclone Amphan
The drinking water and sanitation system of Shyamnagar upazila of Satkhira has collapsed. The source of drinking water has been wasted due to saline water entering the locality. As a result, drinking water has to be bought from far and wide. The same images were seen in the sanitation system in the area.
Shyamnagar upazila of Satkhira district, the southern part of the country, was hit by cyclone Amphan. Gradually, signs of damage are appearing everywhere. The big disaster is the acute shortage of potable water. The people of the area have to conserve ponds or reservoirs and use rainwater.
The sources of potable water have been destroyed due to the entry of saltwater in the cyclone. 18 freshwater ponds in Shyamnagar are now submerged underwater. People in the affected areas have to buy water from far away.
On the other hand, the sanitation system has also collapsed due to the merging of the river water, this puts at extreme health risk for the huge population of the upazila.
Arshad Ali, an executive engineer of the Department of Public Health Engineers, said potable water was being supplied to the affected people through mobile transport for emergencies.
Experts emphasize the importance of digging ponds and lakes for potable water in the coastal areas through integrated initiatives and installing health compliant high latrine.
According to the Department of Public Health Engineering, 2,094 deep tube wells and ponds were completely and partially damaged and 5,100 latrines were damaged in the district.
- Wife hacked dead in Facebook live
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus suspected youth in Naogaon, report this evening
- Expatriate hospitalised suspecting coronavirus in Sylhet
- 3 women heading an Upazila
- 40 quarantined in Narayanganj
- 29 suspected coronavirus patient quarantine in Madaripur
- Most infected in last 24 hours in Gazipur
- Locust attack in Teknaf
- Beggar donates Tk 10,000 to UNO`s relief fund
- 30 missing as bridal party carrying boat sinks in Padma
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Wife hacked dead in live: Husband gives confessional statement
- 15 Willes Little Flower students injured
Teacher loses hand in Gopalganj road crash